Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Meeting people at my age

This was written in response to a friend also musing about how different it is trying to make friends at our age...

I had many of these same problems. Where exactly am I supposed to meet people? Being LDS, I don't go to bars or hang out at bowling allies. I don't wander around the mall like a hig school kid.

I had so many friends in the Singles' Branch before I got married! But then I moved to TX, got married, and got stuck in a family ward that didn't have many young married couples in it. I did make many friends, but no one I could just hang out with or anything.

I tried going to Insitute, but it was weird since I was married and alone since my husband was working.

I have actually been quite lonely all these years. Things were okay getting to know my husband's friends, but it's just not the same.

Things did improved when we moved back to Indy, but again I feel like my closest friends out here are so much older than me. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It's just... Not the same.

When making friends while growing up during school days, you're forced to see the same people over and over, and you get to know them. Usually you can form bonds with other people over common interrests, like choir, drama, mutual dislike for the preppy kids, or just chatting about eachothers' crush.

Life slows down as we get into our late 20s and Early 30s. There's a sense that you're supposed to already be established in a nitch, and have your life figured out. And if you're not actively looking for a date, then why do you need to meet new people?

I don't watch much tv these days, but I do like to watch Grey's Anatomy when I can. Over the last few years especially, I have been envious of these really tight friendships that everyone else seems to have. . .

It's true that my best friends and I have grown up, started our own families, and been pretty buisy over the years... I miss them.

 But I also miss the rush of meeting someone new and getting to know them. The feeling is magic. And I think humans are very social creatures who need that from time to time. Me too.

*sigh* So, what are we boring not quite middle aged not quite young, kinda lonely people supposed to do to make friends? :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment